Saturday 25 November 2017

Mathieu Wernert / Clyfford Still



Clyfford Still
PH-973
1959
oil on canvas
292 x 266 cm
collection SFMOMA




When I was a child, the first artists I liked were Andy Warhol, Jean Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring.
Later, I discovered two French artists, Jacques Villeglé and Raymond Hains. I wanted to transcribe their work into painting. I realized a series, 'Vestige' (2006-2010), exposed in Strasbourg, France in 2010. A museum curator said that my paintings looked like Clyfford Still. I said WHO ? That evening, I looked him up on my computer and I was shocked. A world opened up... It was terrible for me, everything was there, he changed my way of painting.
Later, the same happened with Morris Louis and even later with Christopher Wool...

Mathieu Wernert, 2017





Mathieu Wernert (FR)
Vestige
2006-2010
acrylic and chemical products on canvas





No comments:

Post a Comment